The Traffic > Explore page provides insight into the sites that are driving web traffic to your site and others in your competitive ecosystem. Traffic sources are ranked based on how important each traffic source is to your competitive ecosystem based on overall traffic and other factors.
Each traffic source card includes metrics that help you understand where you are winning against your competitors and where your biggest opportunities for improvements lie. Information available on each traffic card include:
- Traffic Source: The name of the website/source driving traffic to your site and/or your competitors, and the ranking of how important that site is to your competitive ecosystem in terms of overall connectedness
- % Traffic Share - Yours: The percentage of all traffic visiting your website that comes directly from this source
- % Traffic Share - Competitors: The average percentage of traffic visiting your selected competitors' sites that comes directly from this source
- Estimated Performance - Traffic: The difference between your traffic share and your average competitor's traffic share.
- NOTE: If a Traffic Buffer has been added to your account, this number will be adjusted up/down to reflect your company's projected traffic growth. Learn more about the Traffic Buffer on the Forecast Settings page.
- Estimated Performance - Conversions: The number of conversions you are gaining/losing by performing above/below the average competitor. You are able to customize the conversion rates for each site category in the Settings > Forecast section, or for each traffic source by expanding the traffic card and navigating to the Forecast tab.
- Formula: Estimated Peformance - Traffic * Your Site's Total Traffic * Conversion Rate
- Estimated Performance - Revenue: The amount of Revenue you are gaining/losing by performing above/below the average competitor. You are able to customize the average order value for each site category in the Settings > Forecast section, or for each traffic source by expanding the traffic card and navigating to the Forecast tab.
- Formula: Estimated Performance - Conversions * Average Order Value
NOTE: To enable conversions and revenue performance estimates in your account, navigate to the Settings > Forecast > General page.
There are two labels on certain traffic cards to help you understand more about them:
- The New label identifies traffic sources sending traffic to one or more of your competitors, but not to your domain
- The Display label identifies traffic that is coming to your competitive ecosystem via Display ads. The Channel for these sources is set to Display. You may see other traffic sources with the same name, but they are related to non-display traffic coming from these sources.
To learn more about a particular traffic source, click on its card to expand:
- The Insights tab displays the sites in your competitive ecosystem receiving traffic from this source over time.
- The Engage tab provides tips and recommendations for how to engage with a given traffic source, as well as any available advertising rates and referral network information.
- The Forecast tab allows you to customize future traffic, conversion, and revenue projections for your company driven from this particular traffic source, if this is enabled in your account.
- Traffic: This setting allows you to adjust your traffic performance estimates for a particular domain by a certain percentage. You may want to do this if your team is focused on a particular business unit that does not have a dedicated domain. For example, if you work for a retailer in the sporting goods business unit, and you know that only 5% of traffic from a particular traffic source interacts with your business unit on your domain's site, you can set a traffic buffer percentage of -95 for each month to accurately reflect the amount of traffic you can expect to achieve. The default traffic buffer setting can be found on the Settings > Forecast > General page.
- Conv. %: This is an override for the conversion rate for traffic coming from this source. The default setting can be found on the Settings > Forecast section for the channel that the traffic source is associated with. You can apply a unique conversion rate for each month of the year. If no value is provided, the default rate will be used.
- Conv.: This is an override for the Average Order Value for traffic coming from this source. The default setting can be found on the Settings > Forecast section for the channel that the traffic source is associated with. You can apply a unique average order value for each month of the year. If no value is provided, the default value will be used.
- The Notes tab allows you to collaborate with co-workers by tracking to-do items and things to remember for each traffic source.
To filter your results to narrow down your traffic results by the following criteria:
- Custom Filters: You can create a custom filter by selecting a combination of other filters, then selecting Save Current Filters and adding a name. This makes it quick and easy to access filter sets that are of particular importance to you.
- Channel: The different types of sources that are driving traffic (Affiliates, Blogs, Search, etc.)
- Domain: All sites within your competitive ecosystem. Use these filters to learn what sites are driving traffic to only these domains.
- New: New traffic sources are those that are driving traffic to other sites in your ecosystems. These represent potential marketing opportunities for new traffic. Filtering for Existing will show only sources that drive traffic to your domains.
- Category: These filters narrow results based on the subject material of the traffic sources (Food and Drink, Finance, Sports, etc.)
You are also able to adjust the date range of the results to drill down into specific time periods when traffic sources drove people to your competitive ecosystem. The date control is located in the top right corner of the result set. You are able to adjust the start and end date for when traffic has come to your competitive ecosystem.
To hide one or more traffic sources from your result set:
- Navigate to Traffic > Explore
- Check the box of one or more traffic sources you no longer want to see
- Click the eye icon at the top of the grid
- Click Yes
To unhide one or more traffic sources:
- Navigate to Lists > Hidden
- Check the box of one or more traffic sources you want to restore
- Click the eye icon at the top of the grid
- Click Yes
To add a traffic source to a List, click the Add to List icon, and select the list destination. You can also create a new list from this menu. Lists allow you to collect a similar set of traffic sources in a single exportable format for further discussion among your team.